Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Fourth Time's A Charm

Yesterday's MRI was a serious adventure.

I filled out the necessary forms, and was guided into the changing rooms to get my stylish johnny on.  I do make them look good.
[March]

I have been using the same locker every time I go in for imaging in the basement suite at BIDMC.  Call me sentimental.

I drank almost two bottles of the blueberry flavored mixture that was required, which wasn't exactly awful, but I hadn't been allowed to eat this morning so its cold thickness filled my belly in an uncomfy way.  I also have strictures, so if you don't have to worry about that, it will most likely not be as bothersome to you.

I was taken into a prep room and an MRI tech attempted to insert my IV- whiiich she effed up.  I told her that I have a small needle phobia, but she was still a bit sloppy.  Not the coolest, but I dealt.  I have never had someone fudge up my IV.  The second time she attempted, it was tender and I let a, "Girrrl..." slip from my lips, along with one small curse word.  I later apologized.

We started the process.  I climbed up on the table and was slowly rolled into the tube.  The only problem was, because of the strictures somewhere in my digestive tract, the solution wouldn't go through.  We stopped the imaging, and I walked around the waiting room for a while, hoping that it would pass a bit.  Then, went into the tube again.  Only, it still didn't go through.  We played this game for a while, me drinking more water, more of the solution, and walking around outside of the imaging area... and until the fourth time that I was back in, nothing was clearly visible.

When I was finally able to be properly seen, we did the first few parts of the series before a nurse came in and  injected me with Glucagon.  This substance is something that your liver actually creates to help break things down, and the injection goes right into your deltoid [or shoulder] muscle.  Just a small pinch, and a teeny bruising afterward, but nothing horrifying.  I asked the Nurse Practitioner to explain exactly what it was, and what I should expect if my body produced a negative reaction to the injection.  She told me I would be sick to my stomach very quickly.  Luckily, no such reaction took place, and the scan went swimmingly.  The very strange, loud noises coming from the machine were dampened by the ear plugs that are given, but they can still be a little alarming.  I always sort of zone out, wait for the breathing prompts, and try to create some sort of musical combination with those sounds in my mind.


A small part of me believes that this is where Dub Step came from.
Just a thought.  Have you heard the sounds that this machine generates?  I found myself waiting for a bass drop that never came. 

I was hungry.  But when you're injected with Glucagon, your blood sugar initially spikes and then quickly drops.  Fatty or foods high in carbohydrates are not recommended for up to two hours after having received the drug.  I was given crackers and juice to keep things regulated. 
 I chose an egg white omelet afterwards at The Friendly Toast. Yummo.

By Wednesday, we will find out what the happs are with my bowels.  On the upside, the eagle has landed, so to speak... I finally got the rest of that solution through.  

Hot.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...