Thursday, August 4, 2011

Hey, Punk...

Our generation gets a bad wrap.

I hadn't thought much into this, being part of my twenty-something generation, with a small but snide, 'screw you' attitude toward authority figures who seemed to speak without listening- all the while, speaking without knowledge, myself.
[Should be easy to love a group of individuals with that mindset, right?]
No, dude.  That's why we continuously misunderstand each other.  There's no listening.

But it's the assumption that a generation is learning or doing things incorrectly without knowing their intentions or movements, or grouping together people of any age in negative light,  that sours your perception of them.  And really only adds to the baffled state of our country, for that matter.  My mom and I touched on this the other night on the phone when she casually mentioned that young people 'don't know anything about politics'.  I'm sorry ma, I can't even remember if those were your exact words- because that listening thing got in the way.  I immediately stopped her.
[via vintagegal]

I was defensive.  I don't know squat about politics. 
But I do know people my age that do.  Heaps of them.
And they could talk government policies with the most knowledgeable of of our elders.

There are people my age that are very involved in causes that they're passionate about.  This goes unnoticed all too often, as if older generations see it as what I had mentioned I love to do so much- running off at the mouth.  But really, what are we trying to say?


That we're going to live the rest of our lives out on this Earth the best way that we can, educating ourselves about local farms, human power, and recycling movements.  That we are aware that what we do now can absolutely change our planet for the better.  


 Important things to know about in our World right now are:


-Mountain Top Removal Mining
We are removing the tops of mountains to reach coal. 


-Rainforest Destruction
If we don't stop destroying them- we are going to run OUT OF WATER.


-Hydraulic Fracturing [or Fracking]
Seriously? We're drilling this carelessly? 
Do yourself a favor and read up.


Last I knew, twenty-somethings weren't making the decisions to do these things.
But we're stuck here to deal with them, and so are OUR children.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...