Monday, February 21, 2011

Fitting Room Fright

I went shopping yesterday.  I don't have any money to spend, but that doesn't stop me.  Things have been so crazy lately... and I needed a break from the day to day mish mash of frustration.  I was in the Forever 21 fitting room when I noticed something strange about my legs.  Due to my immobility while being sick, I have been struggling with poor circulation.  Turns out I have very subtle, but very disturbing varicose-type veins.  I'm not even sure if that's what they are... but I was less than excited to see such a dramatic and shocking change.


This new development is upsetting me very much.
Indescribable.
I am twenty-six years old.
I thought about the summer.  Dresses.  Going to the beach.
And I couldn't buy anything.

I headed to J.P. Licks with a great friend (who had suggested ice cream to diffuse my emotional turmoil), and fought back tears.  I have dealt with painful and terrifying physical changes to my body because of my Crohn's Disease, like stretching of my skin, losing my hair, and rapid weight loss that is hard to bounce back from. [to name a few...]

We sat at a small table and I cried.  I stuffed my face with a huge cup of froyo.  My pal told me to hush, and to start listening to the table to our right.  They were talking about Crohn's Disease!  I stopped shoveling spoonfuls of chocolate peanut butter coffee goodness into my mouth for long enough to tell them that I have it, and that I host a Support Group in Boston.  I looked up and pointed to a flyer that I had posted earlier in the week.  They said that they had noticed it and were calling a friend of theirs that HAD Crohn's.  She lives in Florida.  I'm from Florida.  Pretty neat.
Still there!  I'll keep posting as often as I can.  My heart swells to see
 that tabs have been ripped from the bottom.

I got to catch up with Michele today.
I miss her so much.  
She told me to buy the sexiest dress I could find and show off my legs.
That's probably the best advice I could have gotten anywhere.

I have Crohn's Disease.  I often forget that I am to wear my battle scars with pride so that other patients can learn from MY strength.  It's why I'm ballsy enough to do half of the things I do when I'm sick.  For them.  For US.  For our future in educating others and the development of my Non-Profit Organization that I intend to run with open honesty about my condition, as well as tremendous respect for any following that we are blessed enough to create.  
[even if it's a little scary]
It doesn't matter how I deal. It's that I deal.  Eff the rest.


RESPECT!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...