Thursday, February 10, 2011

Tuesday Night Hip Hop: On Location

I went to a Wobblesauce show tonight at Wonderbar in Allston, (their bassist is a friend of my roomie's) as I tend to do on Wednesdays. Tonight I had the luck to walk in on Hip Hop night. It was like surprise Christmas. Black Milk played a set, it was insaaaane. He's an indie lyricist from Detroit, and this was his first show in Boston.  

a taste.

At shows like this, I am IN my element.  I am not put off by the fact that I am teeny, in a crowd of mostly dudes.  I flail my arms and jump with the large guys next to me.  And we smile at one another if we accidentally bump.  Words are the spirit and drums are the heartbeat of Hip Hop. Seeing it live gives me a feeling that I can't get from hearing any other sound that can be created right in front of me.
Blurry Black Milk 

A few months back, I was able to catch a Ghostface show.  I was scheduled to work and thought I had missed it.  Buuut, on the walk home past the Paradise, I heard the most amazing bass.  I walked to the door and the bouncer let me in for free.  I got to watch the last hour of the show on the house.  I also met KRS-ONE and caught a Slick Rick performance in the tiniest venue in Boston.  I have no idea how these magical things happen.

I must be da illes.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...